Wednesday 22 August 2012

Dashboards be praised




Muslim. Hindu. Christian. One tradition transcends India’s sectarian divide – dashboard icons.  Whether your deity is Krishna, the Virgin Mary, or a short Koranic scripture, India has a bobble head for you.



Every cab has one. Every single one. I noticed these statues and shrines during my last trip to India. However, what strikes me this time around is the lack of icon redundancy. I doubt that I’ve seen the exact same icon twice. Could there really be enough icons for each car in this 1.2 billion-person nation? Perhaps.




In light of India’s history of sectarian violence, I’m surprised and impressed that cab drivers display their faith directly to their passengers. A baby Ganesha usually smiles back at me during my morning commute. If my hindu cabbie picks up a rowdy group of muslims, couldn’t the icon place him at risk?  God will protect, I guess. Then again, a Bangalorean driver really needs divine protection against the chaotic roadways, not against his fellow citizens.  I’d buy an icon if I had to drive here.



On the subject of buying an icon, Sasha Brophy (my fellow classmate and partner in crime) and I are in the market for one. If you have ever driven in a Safeway parking lot you know that the Lord has bailed you out once or twice already. We have yet to find the mega-mart for plastic mini-Gods, but a post will follow once we do. I’ll go back to my local grocery store and ask tonight.




1 comment:

  1. I am so in lovr with your blugs
    They tell the best story of the culture.
    Keep them coming.
    love
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete