Monday 20 August 2012

Why am I in Bangalore?



Inquiring minds want to know why I am in Bangalore writing about the details of Indian living. Based upon my initial posts, a few readers questioned whether I abandoned my career aspirations within healthcare to become India's Martha Stewart.  I’m flattered, but Mekhala Singh Living’s first product line will just have to wait. The real purpose of my visit is an internship at Narayana Hrudayalaya.

If you are having trouble sounding out Narayana Hrudayalaya, you are not alone. Can I pronounce the hospital's name? Absolutely not. Just ask Akshay, my brilliant manager and cultural guru.  The daily giggle or a grimace signals that I need to try try again. Today, I am testing "na - RINE - na  (pause) Hrooo-de-YA'll-EH-ya." If you speak Kannada please post the correct pronunciation.


Narayana Hrudayalaya (let’s just call it “NH”) is a growing hospital network that provides high quality care at low cost. Lean operations, immense volumes, and sheer determination by its founder, Dr Devi Shetty, enable the hospital group to treat patients across all socio-economic classes.  I am working with the IT department to pilot the hospital's first electronic medical record system and to follow up on a business idea related to the big data sets the hospital already collects. Fortunately, NH explodes with brilliant details that I look forward to writing about.  That being said, in order to stay true to the "cardamom seeds" theme this blog will not cover how the hospital works, my job, my team, etc.


Thanks again to those of you who sent questions. I appreciate the feedback and request for more context. For those of you who would like more information about NH, please refer to:







No comments:

Post a Comment